Wednesday, September 17, 2008

differences

There are many little differences in Portland. I thought I'd take a moment to point them out. That way if you ever visit me here, you know what's up.

1. People use the word "spendy" and use it frequently. I have tried to use it. I felt like a dork. It was funny. I guess it is a combo of expensive and pricey. I like pricey.

2. Most people drive slow. The speed limit. They are also mostly very courteous and it would be very likely that at an unmarked intersection 2 Portlander's would very politely offer others the right of way.

3. Bike and pedestrians are kings of the road and if you cross them, they will yell at you and claim you must be from California (if it was me, I'd say you were from Illinois).

4. You cannot pump your own gas here. Try it, you will get yelled at.

5. When exiting the bus out of the back door almost EVERYONE says thank you to the bus driver. Meaning they have to yell it and people here don't think that is strange.

6. NO SALES TAX. Most locals I have talked to about this think it is a good thing. I don't know. I guess I'd rather pay sales tax than have high income tax, property tax, and random fees for everything.

7. You have to pay a monthly fee to have your garbage picked up. This is not the mountains or the middle of nowhere. I live IN the city of Portland (not Beaverton as some people wish the SW were). I've never had to pay for garbage and it seems strange.

8. They vote by mail here. WEIRD.

9. Freedom of expression is very protected out here. Somehow this means there are strip clubs everywhere. Some even claim to have good food. Don't worry, I would never EVER go to a strip club especially one that served food.

10. ROSES. They really are everywhere.

Those are just a few little differences I've noticed and thought I'd pass on. I'll add on as I discover more about this strange new land.

2 comments:

Taylar said...

Your blog is killing me. I want to eat everything. E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. Mushrooms! Tofu! Cookies! Pie! PESTO!

You're not opening your own cafe because...?

Anonymous said...

I always thought "pricey" was an upper midwest thing, kind of like bubbler.